Last Minute Weekend Ideas in the DC Area 1/6-1/9
Souvenir of January 6
Here is some last minute low commitment ideas for this weekend. For this week “What’s on our radar?” » we highlight Volunteer opportunities.
Please note, however, that the ongoing public health crisis has caused many in-person events to be canceled at the last minute or moved to a virtual format.
So what should you be doing from January 6-9?
For your convenience, this newsletter includes emojis to help you during these unprecedented times:
- The 🛋 indicates that an event is happening in person inside.
- The 🌲 indicates that an event is happening in person outside.
- The 💻 indicates that an event is happening virtually.
- And finally, the 🆓 indicates that an event is free.
- the 💉 indicates an event requires proof of vaccination or a negative Covid test.
Your last minute weekend plans
1. Remember January 6th. There is a candlelight vigil (Thusday, 🆓, 🌲, National Mall). watch the movie Insurrection (begins on Thursday, 🆓, 🛋/💉, 14th street) by Andres Serrano at Source Theater by CulturalDC; it combines historical footage, news segments, and online forums chronicling events culminating on January 6, 2021.
2. A weekend full of performances. 💃 Attend the literary wrestling magazinethe pre-launch event, which includes a 10-minute play (Thursday, $15, 🛋/💉, Truxton Circle). Watch a dance performance inspired by Sanford Biggers sand ground installation (sat, 🆓, 💻). Catch the Broadway musical Prom, which premiered earlier this week (ongoing, $49+, 🛋/💉, Kennedy Center).
3. A weekend full of art. 🖼 Listen to an artist talk by Helen C. Frederick explaining her work SANJEEVANI From here to there (Sun, 🆓, 💻), inspired by a magic herb. Or stop by the Tephra Institute of Contemporary Art and discover time sensitive (until Sat, 🆓, 🛋/💻, Reston), an exhibition of works by the collective of Burmese artists 3AM. Visit the The winter of our discontent exposure (early Sat, 🆓, 🛋, Shaw) during its opening weekend at the Foundry Gallery. There is also a closing reception for The evanescent half exposure (Sun, 🆓, 🛋Adams Morgan) at the DC Arts Center.
4. Drink 👐 things to do. Learn more beer brewing visiting Atlas Brew Works (Saturday, $20, 🛋, Ivy City). Shop at allocal supplier pop-up (Saturday, 🆓 entree, 🌲, Lamond Riggs) 3-star Brewing Co. Paint watercolors (Friday, $20, 🛋, Union Market) while sipping wine at Shop Made in DC. Bring your dog to the BarkHaus takeover by The Labrador Retrievers Rescue of Northern Virginia for a yapping hour (Sun, $10 daily entry, 🛋/🌲, Alexandria).
What’s on our radar: Volunteer Opportunities
Below is a list of volunteer opportunities that may be of interest to you:
- AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE! 🩸 The Red Cross is experiencing the worst blood shortage in more than a decade. and local INVOA Blood Services is in dire need of blood, with their current inventory extremely low due to this week’s cancellations winter snowstorm. (anytime, 🆓, 🛋, various locations).
- January 8 🚙 Helps rejuvenate and cleanse Shepherd’s Drive, including 197 acres of eastern hardwood forest, the remains of two Civil War forts and two bald eagle nests, with Ward 8 Woods Conservancy (Sat, 🆓, 🌲, Congress Heights).
- January 9 🗑 Join District Cleanups on their “owniversary“ and pick up trash at the Capitol (Sun, 🆓, 🌲, Capitol Hill).
- January 17 🌱 Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Weeds, Mulch and Water young trees with Casey Trees at Adas Israel Cemetery. No prior experience is required (Mon, 🆓, 🌲, Congress Heights).
- January 22 ❤️ Wreaths Across America will remove the crowns from Arlington National Cemetery during their “Wreaths Out” event. Unlike wreath laying ceremonies, no public registration is required (Saturday, 🆓, 🌲, Arlington National Cemetery).
- January 29 🌿 Remove invasive plants from Kingman Island, home to over 100 different species of birds, mammals and other wildlife (Sam, 🆓, 🌲, Kingman and Heritage Island).
- Various dates. 🧷 DC Diaper Bank welcomes volunteers to help organize the layers, the Baby Pantry and the inventory. They invite individuals, but also families – they have a play area for children (several times, 🆓, 🛋, Silver Spring).
Thanks for reading!